Stop your horse from running a race, before the race!
Zylkene® Equine is a natural calming and anti-anxiety nutraceutical with potential for long term behaviour modification.
Formulated as highly palatable apple flavoured powder, Zylkene® Equine has been extensively used in Europe and North America over several years with excellent feedback from veterinarians and horse owners.
Is it effective? YES!
Studies on the Zylkene® molecule have been performed on rats, dogs, cats, horses and people.123456 In two published clinical studies,78 Zylkene® Equine was proven to ease a horse’s transition to a new environment and decrease stress during multiple procedures such as training, veterinary and farrier care.
Is Zylkene® safe? YES!
- No known side effects.
- No disinhibition (loss of inhibition).
- No reduction of efficacy over time.
- No development of dependency over time.
1. Miclo, Laurent, et al. “Characterization of α-casozepine, a tryptic peptide from bovine αs1-casein with benzodiazepine-like activity.” The FASEB Journal 15.10 (2001): 1780-1782.
2. Guesdon, Benjamin, et al. “A tryptic hydrolysate from bovine milk α s1-casein improves sleep in rats subjected to chronic mild stress.” Peptides 27.6 (2006): 1476-1482
3. Violle, Nicolas, et al. “Ethological comparison of the effects of a bovine α S1-casein tryptic hydrolysate and diazepam on the behaviour of rats in two models of anxiety.” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 84.3 (2006): 517-523.
4. Messaoudi, Michaël, et al. “Anxiolytic-like effects and safety profile of a tryptic hydrolysate from bovine alpha s1-casein in rats.” Fundamental & clinical pharmacology 23.3 (2009): 323-330.
5. Beata, Claude, et al. “Effects of alpha-casozepine (Zylkene®) versus selegiline hydrochloride (Selgian, Anipryl) on anxiety disorders in dogs.” Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research 2.5 (2007): 175-183.
6. Beata, Claude, et al. “Effect of alpha-casozepine (Zylkene®) on anxiety in cats.” Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research 2.2 (2007): 40-46.
7. McDonnell, Sue M., Jaime Miller, and Wendy Vaala. “Calming benefit of short-term alpha-casozepine supplementation during acclimation to domestic environment and basic ground training of adult semi-feral ponies.” Journal of Equine Veterinary Science 33.2 (2013): 101-106.
8. McDonnell, Sue M., Jaime Miller, and Wendy Vaala. “Modestly Improved Compliance and Apparent Comfort of Horses With Aversions to Mildly Aversive Routine Health Care Procedures Following Short- Term Alpha-Casozepine Supplementation.” Journal of Equine Veterinary Science 34.8 (2014): 1016-1020.
- Dosage - for a 500 kg (1,100 lbs) horse
- 1 pouch/day
- Long term use: Give for 10-14 days, extend duration as necessary
Short term use: Start 3 days before the anticipated stressful event
- Active ingredients
- Alpha-casozepine (derived from alpha-tryptic casein)
Equistro is a high quality range of specific nutritional supplements and care products designed to optimise the performance of your 'equine athlete'.
ingredients with a high biological value
to meet the nutritional requirements of horses
products that you can rely on